[linux-lvm] Migrating root problems...

svetljo galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Mar 2 06:26:07 UTC 2002

> I am trying to install the LVM v1.0.3 in a RedHat 7.2 but I have some
> problems. I am following the HowTo (
> http://www.sistina.com/lvm_howtos/lvm_howto) and I have carried out
> the steps there suitable. I recompiled Kernel to be able to support
> LVM etc... At the moment I have the following hard disks:
>
> / dev/hda1 ext2  (Linux native)
> / dev/hdb1 swap  (Linux swap)
> / dev/hdc1 ext2  (LVM volume)
>
> In the / dev/hda1 has installed the current RedHat, but what I attempt
> is migrate the / to a LVM volume (following the howto
> http://www.sistina.com/lvm_howtos/lvm_howto/Converting_a_root_filesys.html
> ) but here it is where I have problems. The unit LVM is created and it
> is activated in the boot process. I have copied the whole content of
> the / less /boot directory. The problem comes when wanting to pull up
> Linux having the / in the volume LVM (/dev/hdc1). The modifications of
> the one in the /etc/fstab of the /dev/hdc1 is carried out, as well as
> the creation of the initrd and in the grub I have added the correct
> option to be able to start up:
>
> title Net Hat Linux (2.4.7-10) VLM Support
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel / boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10feb2002 mem=250M ramdisk=5038 ro
> root=/dev/q3xvol/ro
>         initrd / boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.7-10feb2002.gz

isn't it mentioned in the how-to smth about ramdisk ~8000
you can try to append at boot ramdisk_size=10000 or smth bigger
and option ramdisk seems to be depricated

> When I start up and I select this option and the system it begins to
> start up.... but shortcomings take place:
>

> .
> hdb:<7> LDM:  DEBUG (ldm.c, 876): validate_partition_table: Found
> basic MS-DOS partition, not to dynamic disk.
> hdb1
> hdc:<7> LDM:  DEBUG (ldm.c, 876): validate_partition_table: Found
> basic MS-DOS partition, not to dynamic disk.
> hdc1
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
> .

thats not important, it simply says that you don't have  win2k/ winXP
dynamic disks

> .
> NET4 LinuxIPX 0.47 for NET4.0
> IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Boiler, Inc
> IPX Portions Copyright (c) 2000, 2001 Conectiva, Inc
> Kernel panic: I have not root and I want to scream.

is there nothing about "trying to read beyond end of device "

> And the system stops having that reeboot. It seems that he doesn't
> find or it cannot mount the root. Does somebody know what it happens?
> Some idea?
>
> Thank you for the help!

could you post your fstabs