[linux-lvm] Performance problem.

Henric Andersson ha at thedudes.nu
Tue Nov 18 09:02:01 UTC 2003

> great, dunno about testing.
> Copying large amounts of data atleast.
> Also fragmentation is an issue to keep in mind, so duplicate the disk,
don't cp the data over.

The idea was to use dd to duplicate the system disk, then create a LV (LVM1
metadata) outof two new disks which are then filled with data. After that,
I'll begin migrating to devicemapper but with lvm1 metadata.

All tests will in the beginning be read tests (since that's more important
to me). These tests will be "time cat > /dev/null" aswell as accessing the
data remotely via NFS/SMB/FTP. After that test, I'll migrate to LVM2
metadata, since thats what I want to use for real later, and then redo the
tests using the same data.

I assume that it will be possible to migrate the metadata to LVM2?

It's going to be a long evening/night :)

/Henric