[linux-lvm] LVM DISK CRASH AND PVREMOVE -ff

KieZz kiezz at libero.it
Wed Oct 27 09:44:43 UTC 2004

Hi
(sorry for poor english)
i have a lvm2 whit 4 disk, each 200 gb, yesterday one die (badblocks give me
30 entries).
PV /dev/hdb   VG orange_vg   lvm2 [189.92 GB / 0    free]
PV /dev/hdc   VG orange_vg   lvm2 [189.92 GB / 0    free]
PV /dev/hde   VG orange_vg   lvm2 [189.92 GB / 0    free]
PV /dev/hdf   VG orange_vg   lvm2 [189.92 GB / 1.84 GB free] <----- diskdead

First i've tried to reduce reiserfs, lv and vg but this was unpossible because
reiserfs can't be managed whit this disk error:

root at Orange:~# mount /dev/orange_vg/orange_lv
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/orange_vg/orange_lv,
       or too many mounted file systems

(also resize_reiserfs was unable to detect reiser partition)

from dmesg:
ReiserFS: dm-1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
hdf: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdf: dma_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=364347782, high=21,
low=12026246, sector=364347776
hdf: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdf: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=364347782, high=21,
low=12026246, sector=364347776
end_request: I/O error, dev hdf, sector 364347776
[..]

So i've tried to add 200 gb, but i had no more 200G disk so i've plugged in a
120 + 80 .
The pvmove tell me there is not enough PE, i think pvmove (but is not write
anywhere) need a disk egual or bigger than disk to remove (this is a question
to for expert too).
I was sure the 200 gb was inside the lv but whitout important data for me, so
i've tried to pvremove -ff /dev/hdf.
This was a big mistake, the vg was unconsistent  and give me several error.
I've restored the vg doing pvcreate -u oldid /dev/hdf , and now the vg seams
ok, but i'm at the initial point and  the metada are now inconsistent, i see
i have now this error also:

ReiserFS: dm-1: warning: sh-2029: reiserfs read_bitmaps: bitmap block
(#194904064) reading failed
ReiserFS: dm-1: warning: jmacd-8: reiserfs_fill_super: unable to read bitmap

At this point what i can do? Is there a way to save the data from disks, in
particular hdb and hdc ?
I know there is dd and dd_rescue but i don't know exactly how can i use this 2
tools and if they can save my data.
Sorry, i'm a lvm newbie but an explenation can be usefull for understand how
manage a disk crash on lvm (i've not found a good howto about that).
Thanks