[linux-lvm] Mostly OT: Adaptec software RAID

James Pattinson jamesp at hisser.org
Sat Oct 15 18:55:46 UTC 2005

Hi All / Heinz

I've been using LVM for years with a normal IDE controller using 2 PV's
and lvcreate -i2 to create striped logical volumes.

I've just built a new system with SATA. I have a standalone boot disk on
the motherboards built on SATA controller, and have an additional
Adaptec 1210as RAID controller controlling two 10k rpm drives.

Now, I had originally planned to create a stripe set on the raid card,
but since this is a "fake" raid card would this be any better than using
lvm for striping? How much processing would be offloaded to the card?

Is anyone on the list using this card on Linux?

Cheers,

James