[linux-lvm] LVM. Do i loose everything?

Ming Zhang mingz at ele.uri.edu
Sat Apr 22 16:03:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:12 -0600, Shawn wrote:
> On Sunday 16 April 2006 16:40, kyr wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >      I wound be thankful if you can answer one simple question that I
> > haven't found the answer in all the LVM manuals, FAQ, howtos.
> >
> > I have a continuous (not stiped) VG consisting of 3 PV (Hard Disks) with
> > one LV on EXT3.
> >
> > If one hard disk fails (hardware) will i loose everything on all disks?

depends on how we define "disk fails" then.

> I'm far from an expert with LVM, but I think the answer is a safe No.  And
> even further, you could possibly recover the data on the damaged drive (see
> http://grover.open2space.com/node/17).

if disk has some bad sectors but most other places are readable, then
dd_rescue will be more than enough and follow this link should be ok.
thanks for pointing out this link.

> The data stored on that particular drive might become in accessible (without
> any recovery efforts), but the data sitting on the other drives should still
> be there.

yes, data is there.

> I'm taking a guess based on what I saw during a data recovery process, but...
> It looks like the drive/partition is tagged as being part of a volume, and
> then the appropriate file system is applied.  If this is the case, then
> loosing a drive should not corrupt your filesystem on the remaining drives.

if it is single file system over all 3 HDs, then will the file system
runs ok? i do not think so.