AW: [linux-lvm] SAN setup with host mirrored disks

Kelly Sauke ksauke at fastenal.com
Mon Jul 17 13:36:15 UTC 2006

Fiederling, Daniel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you all for your answers. I currently test a setup with md for failover.
> To clarify: we have two Clariions in two different locations that are used for failover. Of course on each Clariion the disks are set up as raid 5. My question was about setting up a mirror that "copies" the data on each Clariion.

We use either Veritas Volume Manager or EMC MirrorView to accomplish
this.  We've had no luck in our lab getting mirrored LVM volumes to work
properly.

> Currently I use OpenSuSE 10.1 as distribution so unfortunately I can't use PowerPath because I only get rpms for sles or rhel that can't be installed. I know it's the wrong place for this question but: had someone success on installing PowerPath on non supported systems?

There used to be a tarball install for PowerPath.  I haven't used it for
about 3 years now since all we have are RHEL systems and the RPMs work
fine but they might still be shipping the tarball.
> Kelly, I installed a package called multipath-tools version 0.4.6 which contains multipath and multipathd by Christophe Varoqui. Is that the mpio package you mentioned?
Yes, that is the package that I was talking about.

> Why do I have to expect io errors when using md? What is special about the Clariion setup? I would expect that the san disks are only "normal" scsi disks for linux...

The difference comes in how the multiple paths to the same disk are
handled under linux.  If you only have one path to each disk, then this
doesn't apply to you. I guess I forgot to clarify if you had more than
one path.   Anyway, if you have multiple paths mpio knows which is the
Active path and which is the Passive path.  Sending IO down a passive
path will result in IO errors.