[linux-lvm] Different sizes being reported for logical volume after extend

Magnus Hyllander mhylist1 at hyllander.org
Sun Feb 11 02:23:50 UTC 2007

I finally managed to solve my problem.

After some fiddling around with resize2fs, with which I changed the size
of the root partition back and forth between 4GB and 8GB a couple of
times, I actually ended up with the initial situation in which I again
saw that the size of  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 was 4GB when booting from
disk. So I started thinking, maybe the metadata is wrong somehow (even
though it looks right when booting with the rescue CD). I tried to run
"lvm vgcfgrestore VolGroup00", but could not do that because I got a
"Locking type 1" failure.

When I booted from the rescue CD, "lvm vgscan" followed by "lvm lvs"
showed 8GB. Then I tried successfully to run "lvm vgcfgrestore
VolGroup00". When I rebooted from disk again, the problem was solved!

I can't really say that I understand what was going on, why "lvm lvs"
showed different results when booting from disk or the rescue CD. Maybe
one of you knowledgeable people can offer an explanation?

Thanks,
Magnus