[linux-lvm] duplicating a snapshot volume

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Jan 4 16:43:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Troy Hanson wrote:

> As an alternative, is there any way to duplicate (not snapshot) a
> snapshot volume, i.e. so the new snapshot shares the same source and
> accumulated differences as the original snapshot?

The device-mapper can certainly do it.  It is "just" a matter of
safely recording and setting up the mapping in userland.  You
can probably do what you want with a script invoking /sbin/dmsetup.
But I'm not the guru to provide an example...

You can play around with 'ls', 'info', and 'table' subcommands to
see how device-mapper is programmed.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>