[linux-lvm] lvmpolld causes high cpu load issue

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:54:18 UTC 2022

Dne 17. 08. 22 v 19:35 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
> Il 2022-08-17 17:26 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
>>> I like the general idea of the udev watch. It is the magic that causes
>>> newly created partitions to magically appear in the system, which is
>
> Would disabling the watch rule be a reasonable approach in this case? If the
> user want to scan a new device, it only needs to issue partprobe or kpartx, or
> am I missing something?

Before diving into these 'deep waters'  - I'd really like to first see if the
problem is still such an issue with our upstream code base.

There have been lot of minor optimization committed over the time - so the
amount of fired 'watch' rules should be considerably smaller then the version
mentioned in customer issue.

>> There is on going  'SID' project - that might push the logic somewhat
>> further, but existing 'device' support logic as is today is
>> unfortunate 'trace' of how the design should not have been made - and
>> since all 'original' programmers left the project long time ago - it's
>> non-trivial to push things forward.
>
> Well, this is not good news. Just for my education, it is possibile to run a
> modern linux distro without udev at all? I still remember when the new cool
> thing for device autodiscovery was devfs (with some distro - like gentoo -
> taking the alternative approach to simply tarrig & untarring much of the
> entire /dev/ files to prepopulate the major+minor number... >
>> We just hope the SID will make some progress (although probably small
>> one at the beginning).
>
> Any info on the project?

https://github.com/prajnoha/sid

Zdenek