[Lohit-devel-list] errors in TT instructions

प्रविण सातपुते pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:00:36 UTC 2010

On 17 February 2010 23:51, Bernard Massot <bmassot at free.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:29:46PM +0530, प्रविण सातपुते  wrote:
> > Actually we are not using hinting for Indian script,
> They didn't get built automagically.

hmm, right
hints instructions are present in this fonts from long time, from 2.1.5
release,
i think mistakenly they get added by font designer

> > as its always worsen the things due to curvy nature of shapes.
> They don't worsen things if correctly built, I believe.

yeah, they can improve thing only if font shape designed with mathematical
calculation (height, width) but in that case there will be no much scope to
calligraphic shapes

Mangal is hinted fonts for devanagari and it looks very bad due to these
mathemitically design approach..

> > i did not noticed this and not even tried to add it any time :)
> So you mean you don't get the same result as on my screenshot?
>
> > Just simply editing .sfd file of lohit-hindi not give me anything related
> > hints, where and in which version you found this?
> I used 2.4.3 from https://fedorahosted.org/lohit/. It sounds just
> impossible you don't have it. Open any glyph and go to
> "Hints->Edit Instructions..." dialog and you'll see it's not empty. And
> it can have a very big impact as you can see on my screenshot.

Thanks for information.
Now i can see that in .sfd file as well,
 it resides in
TtInstrs: ..
EndTTInstrs

> Can you think of an explanation? (bug in freetype or some other
> component?)

I did a quick check for this and yeah it looks removing instruction improve
appearances, I dont think this is problem from freetype but may be due to
bad instruction (since to best of my knowledge i never heard about hinting
lohit fonts)

between you took screenshot at what point size?

Thanks,
Pravin S