[Lohit-devel-list] errors in TT instructions

Bernard Massot bmassot at free.fr
Fri Feb 19 20:08:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:30:36PM +0530, प्रविण सातपुते  wrote:
> hints instructions are present in this fonts from long time, from 2.1.5
> release,
> i think mistakenly they get added by font designer
So, are you going to remove them?

> > > as its always worsen the things due to curvy nature of shapes.
> > They don't worsen things if correctly built, I believe.
> yeah, they can improve thing only if font shape designed with mathematical
> calculation (height, width) but in that case there will be no much scope to
> calligraphic shapes
Well, English Wikipedia's article on font hinting gives examples with
curvy shapes and, while I'm not experienced with true type instructing,
I feel it's a language powerful enough to handle all kind of shapes if
you spend enough time to program it.

> Now i can see that in .sfd file as well,
>  it resides in
> TtInstrs: ..
> EndTTInstrs
That's useful information. I spent quite time to remove instructions
from each glyph using the menus whereas it could have be done with one
short sed command! :)

> you took screenshot at what point size?
I'm not sure. Screenshot was made from
http://www.cdacmumbai.in/projects/indix/. You can try to understand
what's the point size from looking at this page (boring work since there
are tables, external CSS and weird percentages). It seems it's around
12pt.
Anyway with current instructions it looks bad at all small sizes.

What about "locl" based Marathi specific glyph? (please answer in
initial thread or create a new one dedicated to "locl" feature)
--
Bernard Massot