[Lohit-devel-list] errors in TT instructions

प्रविण सातपुते pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:53:18 UTC 2010

On 20 February 2010 01:38, Bernard Massot <bmassot at free.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:30:36PM +0530, प्रविण सातपुते  wrote:
> > hints instructions are present in this fonts from long time, from 2.1.5
> > release,
> > i think mistakenly they get added by font designer
> So, are you going to remove them?

yeah, since i think they come by mistake and not planned

> > > They don't worsen things if correctly built, I believe.
> > yeah, they can improve thing only if font shape designed with
> mathematical
> > calculation (height, width) but in that case there will be no much scope
> > calligraphic shapes
> Well, English Wikipedia's article on font hinting gives examples with
> curvy shapes and, while I'm not experienced with true type instructing,
> I feel it's a language powerful enough to handle all kind of shapes if
> you spend enough time to program it.

Adding hinting instruction is very time consuming method

We need to add instruction at particular point size (8,10,12) and for each
point in glyph
so considering overall effort its huge

IMO hinting is very important when we view font at very small point
size(less than 10 say) , but are we using that point size presently?

> > Now i can see that in .sfd file as well,
> >  it resides in
> > TtInstrs: ..
> > EndTTInstrs
> That's useful information. I spent quite time to remove instructions
> from each glyph using the menus whereas it could have be done with one
> short sed command! :)

i selected all glyphs in font and clicked on clear hinting information and
it worked

> > you took screenshot at what point size?
> I'm not sure. Screenshot was made from
> http://www.cdacmumbai.in/projects/indix/. You can try to understand
> what's the point size from looking at this page (boring work since there
> are tables, external CSS and weird percentages). It seems it's around
> 12pt.
> Anyway with current instructions it looks bad at all small sizes.
>
> What about "locl" based Marathi specific glyph? (please answer in
> initial thread or create a new one dedicated to "locl" feature)

yes, i am planning to do this in next release
i think it will take march last week at the most :)
but i will take confirmation from some marathi linguist may be on ligature
requirement mentioned by Nitin Nimkar

Thanks,
Pravin S