[Ovirt-devel] Questions on the Server Suite UI

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Mon Nov 17 15:27:23 UTC 2008

Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Below are a couple of functional question on the UI having installed it,
> and reviewed version .6 of the docs. I realize the answer may be "in an
> upcoming release", but I wanted to at least throw it out:
>

> 1) Can I set quotas at the VM pool level, or are they only inherited
> from the hardware pool?
> 2) Are there plans to support moving vm pools between hardware pools?
> 3) Can I move a storage server from one pool to another if it is being
> used? If not, where do I see the information about where it is being used?
> 4) In the appliance setup, is there a ui path to add users to LDAP?
> 5) In the docs it says that a user is defined at the Hardware / VM pool
> level and can not be moved. But, I assume that a person can have access
> to many hardware or VM pools. Is that accurate?
> 6) What is a SmartPool?
>

> Couple of UI RFEs:
> - Given the richness of the UI, I keep expecting a right click context
> menu. Especially in the tree nav.
> - When creating a VM, a refresh button would be nice. Unless you have
> push to the client.

Follow up question:

Assume I have a hardware pool with 40 cpus, 40 Gigs RAM, and 400 Gigs
Storage. If I wanted to dole it out to several development teams, would
the assumption be that I create a hardware pool with default quotas of
(4, 4, 10) and then create 10 team Virtual Machine pools? If I assume
that each team will use 1/2 of the capacity I give them, I could assume
creating 15 to 20 Virtual Machine pools. Is there an expected best
practice for this?

-- bk