[PatternFly] Browser support update

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Tue May 22 20:40:02 UTC 2018

On 5/22/2018 4:23 PM, Andres Galante wrote:
> Leslie has been meeting with different team to take this decisions
> based on their requirements and roadmaps. She is on vacation this week
> so we can probably continue this discussing next week.
>
> Here is my reasoning:
>
> IE11 is a burden, not only because we can't use css variables and grid
> among other modern CSS features but also because it increases the time
> of development to write fallbacks and testing and it makes the
> codebase harder to maintain.
>
> Patternfly next beta will out during the next 6 month-ish and a stable
> version probably by the end of the year or beginning of the next. By
> the time we have a stable version and projects start adopting it, it's
> a safe assumption that IE11 will be irrelevant.
>
> Does it make sense?
I think your reasoning makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, we can't just ignore 2% to 7% of our user base. Even
if IE11 is down to 1% of the market, we will still need a solution.   If
1 out of 100 users can't use your web site then you are in trouble.

If there is an effective pollyfill available then I think that would be
good enough for us.