[Pulp-dev] Type hinting in Pulp 3

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 18:55:54 UTC 2017

Recently we switched to using Google style docstrings. I was looking
through the docs and saw that it supported type hinting
(see function_with_types_in_docstring vs
function_with_pep484_type_annotations):

http://sphinxcontrib-napoleon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/example_google.html

Unless I am mistaken, declaring functions using type hinting seems like no
extra effort than declaring types in our docstring. I am wondering now
might be a good time to consider using type hinting given that Pulp 3 is
still fairly new?

For more information about type hinting, check out PEP484:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/

One concern I have about type hinting though is its newness. It’s only been
around since Python 3.5 which also means Pulp 3 would have to require 3.5+.
And it doesn’t look like there are many tools that leverage type hinting
currently.

Thoughts?

David