[Pulp-dev] Roadmap Challenges

Robin Chan rchan at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 19:00:22 UTC 2018

Brian,

To bring this back to your original question, here are some comments in
line.

Agree w/#1 - I have observed a few different ways that this problems has
been solved by developers. The requirement here is "I need a way to
understand all the work and deliverables associated with a feature." This
question comes down to how do we track of deliverables. This is I think
secondary and not as much of a problem as the next question.

#2 - This is essentially a question of planning deliverables. Your
descriptions is "how will someone know if a feature is committed to"? I
think full planning is not necessary for commitment. I believe that "full
planning" part could go in #1 in terms of tracking status. I think the
question is actually "how will someone know if a feature is committed to
and when it is committed by" - addition of a time or time frame.

In my experience, feature work generally went like this:
1. Define feature/problem to be solved.
2. Investigate:
    - refine requirements/problem definition
    - do enough design or planning of tasks to come up with estimate of work
3. Commit to work or not
4. execute along list of tasks, refine list as you learn.

Steps 1-3 is part of roadmap planning (higher level planning) and #3-4 is
sprint planning.

I think the problem with using the sprint field as we have used it, is that
if you add something to a sprint, the Scrum definition would lead people to
assume that the team is committing to it at the end of a defined sprint
period. We do not. This major departure from industry standard does not
serve us well in my opinion. We have kept items on sprints for many months
and then removed it. Even if we were able to convince folks that our
definition of sprint was "our next few sprints" of work, we don't have any
accountability that we are actually keeping our commitment here and the
folks wanting something on the sprint don't have any idea if something
added to a sprint will be there in 3 weeks or 12 weeks. I think others in
software are reasonable in understanding that software deliveries aren't
going to be there until they are, but I think our immediate focus on what
is in process (impending delivery/next build) and on some of the larger
deliveries.

Robin