[Pulp-dev] Multi-Resource Locking

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 22:13:25 UTC 2018

I wrote some responses inline. We've revised the ticket and put details
about the design in there so if everyone can look at it before the meeting
that would save us from having to read it all on the call.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 2:30 PM, David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Friday, we have a meeting to go over the issue on multi-resource
> locking in Pulp 3[0]. I wanted to send out an email to make sure we’re on
> the same page before the meeting.
>
> The first question is around whether we need multi-resource locking.
> Currently in Pulp 3, importers and publishers are tied to repositories via
> a foreign key. However, we’ve decided to remove that relationship. Is that
> correct? If so, I think this makes multi-resource locking a necessity as
> publishing or syncing tasks will need to lock on the importer or publisher
> (respectively) in addition to the repo (or repo version).

I'm +1 to removing importers and publishers as being related to a
repository. I agree that change will require multi-locking. I'm ok with
that because I think it will be easy to implement.

> My second question is around whether we ought to lock on repository or
> repository version for tasks like repo version deletion, syncing, etc. I
> think the proposal we were discussing last was to lock on repository
> instead of repo version. The reason being that locking on repositories is
> simpler given our current design, which tracks content changes across repo
> versions making them interdependent. Is there any disagreement around that?
> Or does anyone want to suggest an alternate proposal?

I think there is agreement, but it's always good to check.