[Pulp-dev] Pulp 3 for Fedora

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 21:57:18 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:15 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> Neal,
>
> I completely agree with the points you brought up and would love to see Pulp 3 shipped in Fedora. The only thing I am hesitant about is the timing. Fedora 30 is shipping in May, correct? We’re approaching an RC for Pulp’s core but none of the plugins are really ready. I think releasing Pulp for Fedora 31 in the fall might be more feasible but maybe we can re-evaluate in March.

If things are in a usable state, there's no reason not to start the
packaging work and go through the package review process[1]. That lets
us sort out issues early and get them addressed in time for
integration into the distribution. Failing that, there could be a
COPR[2] for it if it doesn't fully make it.

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
[2]: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/

> Also, I’d love to talk more about integrating Pulp into's Fedora infrastructure. I joined the Pulp team a couple years ago and have been constantly wondering why Fedora is not using Pulp to manage and distribute its RPMs. Maybe at some point we can give you a demo of Pulp 3 and figure out how we can help fill Fedora’s needs.

I know that previously Pulp was considered for at least hosting the
container images[3]. I'm not sure what happened there. It'd be a good
idea to introduce yourself to releng[4] and infrastructure[5] folks
and propose the idea.

[3]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Layered_Docker_Image_Build_Service
[4]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org/
[5]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org/