[Pulp-list] pulp notification's

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 17:53:12 UTC 2015

Hi Daryl,

I better understand what you are asking now. To have more control over
the format of the e-mail you receive, I'll recommend the following
approach:

0. Configure Pulp to use the AMQP notifier [0].
1. Write a small program that listens for messages sent by the AMQP
Notifier. This is an exercise for the reader.
2. For each message received by your program, form it into any e-mail
format that you find useful and have your program send the mail.
3. Once your program is working, post your code to pulp-list so the
rest of the community can see it.

[0]:
http://pulp.readthedocs.org/en/latest/dev-guide/integration/events/amqp.
html

- -Brian

On 07/15/2015 04:22 PM, Daryl Rose wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
> What I would like to see is something  a little more user friendly
> than just code being dumped to the email.
>
> I get lots of notifications from different environments all the
> time, SAN, backups, syslog etc...   All of these notifications
> have the same, or nearly same format.  They have a heading of some
> kind letting the user know what the notification is about, whether
> it's critical or just informative.  Items like the event time and
> description have headings then followed by the start or stop time,
> or by a description of what the notification is for.
>
> What I get, and I'm assuming that everyone gets the same type of
> notification, looks like code  just being dumped to an email and
> sent out.
>
> As I parse through this email, I do see the potential for a better
>  formatted email.  I see "task_type"  That could be a heading
> letting the user know that a repo sync is running.  I see
> "start_time".  That could be a label with the start time the sync
> started.  I also see "event_type" and "repo_id".   Those could be
> put in a description letting the user know that a repo sync is
> currently running for a particular repo.
>
> Thanks
>
> Daryl
>

>> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 15:28:34 -0400 From: bbouters at redhat.com
>> To: darylrose at outlook.com Subject: Re: [Pulp-list] pulp
>> notification's
>>
> Hi Daryl,
>
> Can you give an example of what would be more meaningful? Pulp
> likely wouldn't be able to support per-installation configuration
> of these messages, but what could be done that would improve this
> for all installations beyond yours?
>
> When you reply please send it to pulp-list and we can talk more
> through there. Maybe others will have more to add also. It would be
> good to include the output that you sent me along with your
> proposal for improvement.
>
> If you want you can also/instead file a feature according to these
>  docs [0] you can do that too.
>
> [0]:
> http://pulp.readthedocs.org/en/latest/dev-guide/contributing/bugs.html

All the best, Brian