Static IP

Scott Mertens smertens at mho.com
Tue Apr 12 17:45:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 13:37 -0400, mylar wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:30, Scott Mertens wrote:
> > New Linux User:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
> >
> > I am in the process of setting up Printer sharing on this Linux box for
> > WIN XP users. I think some of my problems might be resolved if I can set
> > up a static IP for this box.  Currently it gets one from a Linksys
> > router connected to ISP.
> >
> > How can I tell Linux to use a static IP, but use DNS and other info
> > provided by ISP/Linksys router?
> >

> Depends on from where your XP users are connecting to your printer. If
> they are all on an internal LAN then it doesn't matter if your Internet
> IP is static or dynamic. If users are accessing printer services across
> the Internet then a static IP would be a good idea.
>
> Easiest way to find out whether you are static or dynamic is to check
> with your ISP. Dialup connections are traditionally dynamic new IP
> assigned every time a connection is established). Many broadband
> connections can be either dynamic or static. To be 100% certain I'd
> check with the service provider (and hope that they know)...
>
> mylar

You may have misread my question, or I did not explain correctly.
Currently I am just looking for a file to edit to make my Linux box
static.

My XP users and the Linux box are behind a Natted LINKSYS router. All
boxes IP's are DHCP. WAN side of Linksys is on a 10. subnet LAN side is
192.168.1.

I'm having probles setting up Samba to host a printer on the Linux box
so thought I's try to make IP static.