Kernels 2.6.9 FC2 1.x lock up

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 16:50:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:10:38AM +0100, Goetz.Kluge at infineon.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still run a 2.6.8 Kernel, as 2.6.9 FC2 1.6 and 1.11 get stuck on my PC
> near the point, where some "microcode" should be installed.
>
> The 2.6.9 FC2 1.x Kernels came with the update from Fedora.
>
> 2.6.8 Also seems to have some trouble. It gets temporarily stuck for 2
> minutes or so. Interestingly the clock (hh:mm:ss) locks up during that
> time and consequently runs with a delay after the kernel boot continues.
>

> Perhaps this is due to my hardware. I disabled everything that I don't
> need (parralel port, serial port, sound) in the BIOS setup. There still
> seem to be some interrupt issues, although screaming interrupt isn't
> reported anymore as I noticed with a 2.6.5 (??) Kernel.
>

> With my best wishes for 2005
> Goetz

I don't have an answer, only another data point.  I'm on a KRUD
subscription

http://www.tummy.com/Products/krud/

and my December issue came with kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2.  It ran OK, but
there was no ide-tape module so my backups were non-functional.  I've
reverted to kernel-2.6.8-1.521 and things are fine.  I'm running an
ancient AMD Athlon 550.

I'm curious as to what's up.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com