Tape to CD

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 18:40:03 UTC 2005

On Sunday 16 Jan 2005 18:05, Ted Potter wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 09:40, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > I've got an audio tape and I thought it would be great to copy it
> > to a CD to listen to in my car.  I'ts not a nusic tape but an
> > instructional tape and by having it on the CD I could go directly
> > to the parts I wanted if I broke it down into different segments
> > (or so I think).
> >
> > So, I pulgged my tape player into my computer and started - sound
> > is coming out of my computers speakers but I can't get any
> > programs to record what I'm hearind (I'm running Red Hat 9 and
> > trying to use "Sound Recorder" as it's the only one I could
> > find).
> >
> > Then I started thinking about the process - once I have the files
> > on my hard drive I'm not sure what to do from there.  I like
> > using Gtoaster to make a CD but will I be able to make an Audio
> > CD with Gtoaster that will play as I want it?
> >
> > Please be very basic with me as you can tell I'm confused already
> > and I haven't even been able to anything copied to my hard drive
> > yet.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Thats interesting. I am in the exact same position and need to do
> do exactly the same thing.
>
> A friend of mine uses a tape recorder with a lineout jack in to the
> microphone jack on his soundcard, sadly he runs windows and jukebox to turn
> that in to an mp3 file.
>
> Been looking for a solution myself.
>
> Ted

Look at KRec.
Check out the manual for KRes, it points you towards experimenting with the
aRtS bundle, which KRec acts as a front-end for.
It allows recording from any line-input.
Then either manually stop/start the tape, and create a new file for each
section, or record the whole tape as a single file, then use one of the
available editors to split that file up into various sections.
Convert the files to the right format, then run k3b, which allows you to
assemble audio tracks and burn them onto CD, complete with track info.
If you use mp3 format, you can even run one of the id3 tagging programs to add
tags to each track so your CD player can pick up titles and display them ie
'Chapter 1'
--
Tony Dietrich