Gateway problem

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 04:56:27 UTC 2006

> > > In /etc/sysconfig/[network,network-scripts] or
> > > /etc/sysconfig/static-route Ifup-aliases should do it from your ifcfg-ath0
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daniel
> >
> > I prefer to see the system default gateway (of which, there can only be one) in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Add a line:
> >
> > GATEWAY=x.x.x.x
> >
> > It drives me nuts when people put the gateways on specific interfaces.
>
> That's very dangerous, as "GATEWAY=" in, say, "ifcfg-eth0" will get
> stomped on by a "GATEWAY=" in ifcfg-eth1.
>
> > Of course, this is all personal preference.
>
> As was mentioned by someone else, you can only have ONE default gateway,
> and it should be in /etc/sysconfig/network.

OK, due to rolling blackouts my machine went down again - putting

	"GATEWAY=192.168.1.1" in /etc/sysconfig/network didn't
work.  On reboot fetchmail could not find anything outside the
home network, neither could ping.  I typed in

	"route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0"

and everything stated working again.  I checked
/etc/sysconfig/network and the "GATEWAY=192.168.1.1" was there.

Thanks,

Brad