Problems with RHL AS 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 23 19:19:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 16:48 -0500, Brenda Radford wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 09:01 -0300, John Von Random wrote:
> >

> >>Hi dears,
> >>
> >>I have a Red Hat AS 4 in my company, and my problem are:
> >>I installed the RHL and everything functioned perfectly but, later
> >>that I executed update simply it stopped to function the installation
> >>of packages for the CD-ROM. It mounts the CD-ROM and when it goes to
> >>make the reading of the packages disassembles the CD-ROM automatically
> >>and asks for the CD again, repeating the problem indefinitely.
> >>How i can solve this problem?
> >>
> >>P.S.: I use a AMD64 version over SunFire V40z.
> >>

> >"executed update"?  You mean "up2date"?  If so, up2date doesn't check
> >the CD, it only contacts the up2date servers at Red Hat.
> >
> >You need to clarify what you're asking about.
> >

> He's trying to Add/Remove Programs and his box won't recognize the CD.
> He must have updated  at least one version
> since he installed., because I am having the same trouble. I installed
> Update 2, but now up2date has me up to Update 3.
> My box doesn't recognize the RHEL AS 4 Update 2 CDs, and it exited with
> error when I tried to give it Update 3 CDs.
>
> He could always download the packages from the Red Hat Network and
> install the rpms from the command line.
> rpm -ivh package-name
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Brenda

Ah, interesting.  Have you squawked this anomaly to RH yet?  I'd
definitely bugzilla that.  It should still recognize the media.  I don't
ever recall Add/Remove giving a tinker's cuss about the media other than
there being a "/media/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS" directory.  The checksums
shouldn't matter at all.

As I said, interesting.

-       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -