DNS Setup - feora 6

Gary Frederick garyfreder at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:35:57 UTC 2007

Howdy

Are we drifting away from redhat install issues?

However a little drift is good some times...

If you are doing email, be sure to make sure comcast or whoever has the
reverse dns set up. Not having a valid reverse dns can end up with your
email being marked as spam etc.

If you have clients as in someone you are helping...

I set some clients (friends or at least still friends ;-) ) up with Google
apps. They mostly wanted email with a bit of web site. They have dns one
with network solutions the other  with godaddy. I put some stuff on one of
my machines that is on a static IP from AT&T/sbcglobal. Point to another
host in their dns with my IP and that works, but is not complex. Google apps
is ok but I tried using it for our domain and have to dump it for now. The
web hosting that comes with does not give you folders and we will wait a
year to see what they come up with.

I had static IPs from a cable provider but eventually had to dump them when
I found that many of my problems with aol were charter was selling me static
IPs in a dynamic range and felt real justified that I was paying a lot more
and not helping with the aol problems for months and months till aol started
pushing hard. sigh

Gary