EXIM - fallback to smarthost

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Oct 6 17:05:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 04:44:30PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> My live server is Exim 3, but I'm in the process of updating to a new
> box running Exim 4.
>
> I don't have a smarthost set and SMTP delivery is set direct as I prefer
> this for both performance and logging reasons.

You may prefer it but the target doesn't.  That's why your email is
being blocked.

> However, I have just chaanged ISPs and for some reason my IP address
> range is on an RBL.

"For some reason"?  Give us your IP address and we'll tell you why.
There's a good chance that you're in a dynamic IP address range and that
will be blocked by a LOT of hosts.

> Is it possible with both versions to configure it so that it tries to
> deliver directly, but fall back to my ISP's SMTP relay if it fails.

I don't think so.  SMTP doesn't have an error for "we don't like your
source address".  The transaction is being rejected but you really don't
know why - different servers reject with different messages and error
codes.

What you can do with sendmail is to add mailertable entries for specific
domains that will override the default smart host.

Personally, I gave up and send all email through my ISP.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA