Configure failover for rsyslog

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:27:58 UTC 2009

Hello list.

I'm planning on setting up rsyslog servers (i.e. loghosts) to store syslog
messages from the various RHEL clients in the network. So far I have one
"master" server, and one relay server who forwards syslog messages to the
master server. The clients log either directly to the master, or to the
relay server. In other words, this:

*Syslog clients ==> Relay rsyslog server ==> Master rsyslog server <==
Syslog clients*

It's possible to define failover behavior on the client side, either:

   1. Try one rsyslog server before spooling the messages
   2. Try two or more rsyslog servers before spooling the messages

In the latter scenario one will need multiple failover rsyslog servers. But
since the clients are able to spool the messages, and forward them as soon
as the rsyslog server comes back up, I'm thinking that one rsyslog server
(one relay server and one master server, that is) will suffice. As long as
the messages are just temporarily stored locally, no messages should be
lost.

Has anyone set up rsyslog (or other syslog-implementations) with failover
functionality, and would like to comment on these alternatives?

Furhtermore, our RHEL clients are currently running sysklogd, so if there is
some way of setting up failover syslog server without having to upgrade to
rsyslog I'd appreciate a howto on this. I'm don't think this is a likely
approach, since TCP (as is supported in the rsyslog implementation) seems
like the best alternative when setting up failover.

Regards,
Kenneth Holter