[rhelv6-beta-list] RHEL6 Mailserver packages

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:49:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:29, Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org> wrote:
> Chris,

Having tried to do this at one site.. it is really a full time job. I
know some sites have no problems (and if you are one cool)... but the
amount of hand-holding it took for clamav for that sites traffic made
going commercial cheaper :/.

>> The package set in RHEL is what Red Hat thinks it is economical to
>> provide to a wide base of customers.
>
> I'll agree with that statement but I have to ask... is what they provide... would you call it a usable set of packages for a reasonable email server setup?  Or do you (assuming you work on email servers) drag in things from the outside?

Working on this at multiple sites I have seen pretty much every place
pull in things. The issue is that NONE of them pull in the same
things. Some swear by amavis, others mime-defang, others some stuff
that hasn't been maintained other than them for 10 years. Some require
a giant perl stack of whatever CPAN throws up today, and others the
same from python eggs. Most of them require a lot of updates for new
functionality which falls outside of the 7 year RHEL lifespan.

Trying to come up with a stack that enough people will agree on, pay
for, and be profitable  is a holey grail... and I really haven't seen
a way to make it cheaper than what you get from paying Symantec prices
without losing money.

> In fairness there doesn't appear to be any Linux distro that has a good email server setup out of the box... although some are better than others in providing the raw materials via packages.  It is really quite sad.

Again its because when you ask customers what they want they all come
up with a ton of different applications. The big ones  say
"Sophos/Symantec/etc" and the small guys will usually poo-poo anything
or start racking up the support calls because they needed a new plugin
that RH doesn't support.