[rhelv6-list] IP load balancing

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Jan 10 16:25:58 UTC 2011

Patrick H. wrote :

> So I just started setting up a RHEL6 box for use in a load balanced
> cluster and have run across a problem. The way you set up a virtual IP
> on the back end realhost side is to add an interface alias to the
> loopback device (such as lo:0). Well the ifup-eth script in RHEL6
> refuses to add aliases to the loopback interface. Additionally if you
> try to add the alias to the real ethX device instead it fails because
> the arping check it does finds that the IP is already running on the
> IPVS director.
>
> So, how is one supposed to setup a realhost now?
> The difference from RHEL5 is that RHEL5 doesnt check to see if youre
> adding an alias to the loopback device or not. Why does RHEL6 even care
> about that anyway? Theres nothing wrong with it...

I've quickly tested a simple ifcfg-lo:0 like this and it works fine for
me on RHEL6 :

DEVICE=lo:0
IPADDR=10.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.255

Maybe you've been using a netmask which overlaps with some of the
addresses configured on your eth interfaces : Don't do that for those
"dummy" addresses.

Matthias

Fedora release 14 (Laughlin) - Linux kernel 2.6.35.10-72.fc14.x86_64
Load : 0.01 0.04 0.11