[rhn-users] RHEL3 services do not start as non-root user

Bereznai Tibor bit at webmail.alt.hu
Wed Mar 17 08:34:57 UTC 2004

Dear All,

Using RHEL3 (updated) after setting up LDAP and NSS, the following problem I
face (several installations, all the same !!)
After a while or rebooting the system, the following services do not start
claiming to permission denied to conf files: named, ldap. additionally apache
starts as apache, but does not service anything under var/www or anywhere - it
says forbidden. After I put named into jail, named starts, and even LDAP
starts in jail, but ldap is unable to write anything into database. It seems
to me, that after the first fork or clone, when the offended service setuid to
the apropriate user (named -> named, ldap -> ldap and so on ) it is unable to
reach anything outside. If I start these services as root, then everything
gets OK, exept apache, since can not be started as root obviosusly.

Any idea ?

Would be urgent. Thanks in advance.

Tibor Bereznai