[rhn-users] Re: Dual-Boot issue w/ Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 WS and Windows XP Professional x64

Ron Hoering RHoering at justifiedtechnology.com
Sat Jan 28 20:27:14 UTC 2006

Thanks Benj,

I believe since linux is loaded on the second drive it is probably where
GRUB is installed. The first partition on the linux drive is marked as
active.

The weirdest part is if I can boot Windows in Safe Mode [with out
network support] so somewhere it Windows can find the disk to boot from.

I may need to try setting the Windows partition as active and see if it
boots fine. If it doesn't I will repair the MBR and see if it goes.

I have seen the GRUB commands to swap the hard drive order but my other
PC [with 32-bit Windows XP] dual-boots just fine and does not require
the map.

I believe there is a "rootnoverify" where you put "root" in the
GRUB.conf of both PCs.

>Windows
>root (hdx,y)
>map (hd0) (hd1)