[rhn-users] Question Regarding Ghost for Linux (G4L) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 23:07:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Yates, Glen V. (AMRDEC/WESTAR)
<glen.yates at us.army.mil> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Ghost for Linux (G4L)? I am trying to
> use it
> to create a image of one of my Linux servers, but am having problems
> configuring and setting up the software to create an store and image over
> the network onto a shared drive using the CIFS option. I have no problem
> with mounting the windows share from the linux system, but the share, which
> is mounted locally at /mnt/local, doesn't appear in the "Pick a drive" list.

This is probably not the appropriate list for this discussion, but I'd
be concerned about why you're trying to use Ghost for Linux anyway - a
much more scalable solution is to use kickstart. This way, instead of
having full disk images stored somewhere taking up gigabytes of space,
you have a text file that's a few kilobytes that describes exactly how
to build that system.

You can do anything you want in a kickstart - specify what packages do
or don't get installed on the systems, scripts to run before and after
system installation, etc. With this, you can customize the resultant
system to exactly meet your needs.