[Spacewalk-list] register systems

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 23:00:01 UTC 2009

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
> Let me respond in the same way: first, I DO NOT HAVE A
> CHOICE whether to use spacewalk - that's my manager's
> call, and he told me to use it. Had I had a choice, I
> would have stopped bothering y'all weeks ago.

Why is your manager insisting that you use Spacewalk?

> Second, I understand you're not hearing problems from
> other folks... but I feel like I followed the published
> docs, and what I think I'm supposed to be able to do
> doesn't work.
>
> I've got a number of years experience as a sysadmin, and
> more as a programmer, on a number of unices (and
> elsewhere), and if I see errors in the logfiles, I figure
> something is broken, and so as not to bother others, I
> try to fix it as best I can. I'm doing that as a last
> resort, not as the first thing I do. I search the web,
> and try to find answers. When I can't, I ask here.

Band-aiding surface issues ad hoc to get by today isn't
going to fix the problem, though, and will create greater
problems further down. Being able to track/audit what bits
got put on which system where, when, and by whom and to be
able to reproduce any given system at any given point in
time are better practices. If an application out-of-the-box
is broken, and no one else seems to have the same problems
with the application, patching up the symptoms is really
just delaying greater pain later down the road. With your
experience I'm surprised to be explaining this.

> After all the grief I've had, do you have any wonder that
> I'm frustrated, esp. since my manager wants me to finish
> up, so that he can put me on the next project, and I
> *badly* want that, since the only chance I have of
> *maybe* getting my contract renewed is by getting done
> what's assigned to me?
>
> How would *you* feel, had you had all my problems? Would
> you not be irritated and stressed?

I would definitely be irritated and stressed if I was in
your situation. I am not sure, however, that I would share
those emotions with a list full of people that I don't know
on a personal level. I certainly wouldn't take them out on
those people.

> But what *am* I supposed to do, other than what I've
> done?

I think you need to calm down a bit. If you stress yourself
out over something like this, you will not have the clear
head you need to solve the problem.

Did you have luck with the steps provided here using the
external repositories or have you only tried using a custom
client channel you created?
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients

~m