[Spacewalk-list] register systems

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:03:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM,  <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> Mairin,
>
>>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:33:15 -0500
>>From: Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com>
>>
>>Hopefully this doesn't come off of overly harsh, I mean for
>>it to be helpful:
> <snip>
>>This project, this list, and the people involved with it are
>>not here for your amusement. It seems that you are running
>>into problems that I've been unable to identify anyone else
>>having run into. A lot of time, effort, and goodwill has
>>been expended on the parts of many people to try to assist
>>you through your usage of Spacewalk, and yet you still seem
>>to be struggling.
>>
>>There are a lot more complex setups, architectures, and
>>potential issues one could run into, and if this is your
>>reaction to simple, basic usage of the product (which again,
>>I cannot identify anyone else having these issues) then I
>>worry about your experience if you dive into more advanced
>>usage of the project.
>>
>>It seems clear to me though, that Spacewalk is likely *not*
>>the right approach for you. This list is not an official
> <snip>
>
> Let me respond in the same way: first, I DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE whether to use spacewalk - that's my manager's call, and he told me to use it. Had I had a choice, I would have stopped bothering y'all weeks ago.
>
> Second, I understand you're not hearing problems from other folks... but I feel like I followed the published docs, and what I think I'm supposed to be able to do doesn't work.

Ok the following is how people reading your emails see what you have
done. You seem to start following the documentsand but if something
does not seem to work correctly,  you jump into things, do a random
tweak and then email the list that everything is broken.

You are in constant fire-fighting mode and not taking the time to say
"Ok did I read that right. What did I miss." and then working through
things. You also seem to be doing multiple steps at once without
looking to see how you can back out. I know what thats like and the
only way out of it is to take a deep breath, and start over as much as
possible. Make sure every step you do is able to be backed out and you
understand what it does. Ask questions first and ask them knowing you
might not get an answer in 24 hours. Then go into what is done.

And yes time is of the essence when you are sitting as a contractor,
you don't know where your next hop is, etc.. but taking the time to
approach the problem calmly will get you a lot further and help you
get the answers you need and get any extensions or being able to write
a proper report saying "This product is not right for our needs. Due
to support needs we should look at ..."

I say this as a guy who has been there, done that, and learned that
slow and easy got the job done better than what I had done before.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux