[Spacewalk-list] CentOS Errata Script

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Thu Sep 3 13:31:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 09:21:20AM -0400, Cliff wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >On 09/02/2009 12:52 AM, Goff, Raal wrote:
> >>Hi Everyone,
> >>
> >>Someone expressed interest in my hacked up version of the centos
> >>errata script available here:
> >>
> >>http://www.bioss.ac.uk/staff/davidn/spacewalk-stuff/
> >
> >Is there anything that we can do from the CentOS side of things to make
> >life easier for people ? so as to not need scraping emails etc ?
> >
> With slight lounge in cheek (aka joke) - setup a public Spacewalk system
> and allow/provide CentOS dumps from it for folks to use with Spacewalk.
>
> I suspect something easier is say an xml file with data, that folks
> could use to parse in a script.

Much of the work the script does is trying to work out whether a
particular errata is applicable to the target distribution on the
spacewalk server. Something simple like separate RSS feeds containing
errata for each version/arch of CentOS would probably do the trick
without having to go to the trouble of developing a custom XML schema
for the errata.

RSS feeds of errata might also be generally useful. I note this thread
from 2007:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2007-September/002001.html

Did anything come of this?

> A public API that folks could query?

This would also do nicely.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662