[Spacewalk-list] Assigning packages to a group

Edward Simmonds esimm at fnal.gov
Fri May 21 15:25:55 UTC 2010

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010, Colin Coe wrote:
>

>> I'd use the activation key as well.
>
> Have a group gets you updates, but it doesn't get you additions.
>
> So you end up having to add package X to the activation key, and doing an
> install to all machines in the group.  It'd be quite nice if there was
> an easy
> way of doing that.  Something like System Groups, Packages, Add Packages,
> IYSWIM.  Then you'd just have to add the package to the group, and it'd be
> installed on all machines in the group and on any new members to the group.
>
> jh

Exactly.  I've got huge groups of machines where individual nodes are reinstalled often.  I'd like to be able to just
assign a set of RPMS to them and not worry about what happens when someone has to reinstall a box.  That's our problem
now, we have clusters of 1000 machines where typically ten or twenty may be down.  We can push out a new RPM on the fly,
but the offline machines never pick it up.

I can certainly do this with a configuration management tool like cfengine, but it would be so much easier if we could
do it through Spacewalk.  Also, with Spacewalk, I could assign responsibility for maintaining the RPM lists of specific
server groups to specific people.

Thanks for the responses.

Ed