[Spacewalk-list] AIX in Spacewalk?

Jasper Aikema jasper at aikema.nl
Fri Dec 23 22:59:52 UTC 2011

On 23-12-11 21:18, Wojtak, Greg wrote:
> Having one centralized place for all configuration/RPM's is desirable to
> me.  I honestly couldn't care less about provisioning AIX systems through
> spacewalk and TL updates and so forth can be done like we normally do.
> For us, it would be a huge win to be able to run remote commands, manage
> configuration files, and deploy rpm updates through spacewalk.
>
> On 2011-12-23 1:41 PM, "Coy Hile"<coy.hile at coyhile.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Wojtak, Greg
>> <GregWojtak at quickenloans.com>  wrote:
>>> Has there been any effort to allow AIX hosts to become spacewalk
>>> clients?  We have a mixed environment of Linux, Solaris, and AIX, so
>>> being able to mange all three platform's configuration files, execute
>>> remote commands, and some of the software (we use quite a few RPM's on
>>> AIX for the F/OSS software that is not included with AIX).
>>>
>>> What kind of effort would be involved in getting these pieces working?
>>> I'm not talking about provisioning or anything too complex.  I just
>>> think it would be a huge gain to be able to do the things I mentioned
>>> above.
>>>
>> Why wouldn't you just NIM?  I think you'd have a hard time making
>> spacewalk alt-disk aware for a start.  And that's just the first thing
>> that I thought of after about 5 seconds?  With Solaris, at least
>> there's a value-add because Solaris packaging is so horrible.

Hello,

I did think the same thing a couple weeks ago. But I did it for the
provisioning part. The NIM server is a basic tftp, pxe boot server. So
it must be possible to change this to the spacewalk server.

I will problable look into it, but not in a short time. First we need to
get the Debian support ready.

Kind regards,

Jasper Aikema