[Spacewalk-list] OpenJDK update breaks taskomatic [SOLVED]

Jonathan Hoser jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Fri Feb 25 12:07:49 UTC 2011

Hi,
Concerning the matter auf Segfaults in OpenJDK:
You do realize, that sometimes the openJDK just fails?

I have been developing java on linux quite some time, and sooner or
later, I would get to the point where after a small change in code I
would get segfaults at completely unrelated portions of code. These
segfaults would even remain if I completely removed the section (or even
all the code from the class-file), recompiled and tried a re-run.

Identical code will most probably (own experience: 100%) run on SunJDK
however - without modifying the resulting class-code.

I have not had time yet to track this down do a cause, short googling
didn't show up anything useful, most probably since the points of
segfaulting in the code, and the segfault-messages are pretty much
random (though, if you once have hit one, it stays pretty much the same)

Just wanted to share the above,
best
-Jonathan

On 02/25/2011 11:30 AM, Sander Grendelman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 04:02:15PM +0100, Sander Grendelman wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:04:01PM +0100, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
>>> Are you able to reproduce with the latest OpenJDK update (there are few
>>> more updates to OpenJDK now).
>> I'll try that now, I'll also try to bring the problem down to a direct
>> java call.
> I was able to reduce my testcase to the following command:
>
> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java \
> -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.4/client/lib \
> -classpath /usr/share/java/tanukiwrapper.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/quartz.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-codec.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/ojdbc14.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/jta.jar:\
> /usr/share/rhn/lib/spacewalk-asm.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/xalan-j2.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/jaf.jar:\
> /usr/share/rhn/lib/rhn.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/redstone-xmlrpc.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/oscache.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/log4j.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/jcommon.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-lang.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-logging.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-discovery.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-cli.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/slf4j-api.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-dbcp.jar:\
> /usr/share/java/commons-pool.jar
> com.redhat.rhn.taskomatic.core.TaskomaticDaemon
>
> This lead to a guaranteed segfault with the openjdk jre and not with the
> "sun" jre. I could also reproduce the crash after copying the relevant
> files to a single directory and setting the paths to that directory.
>
> I could move this file to other servers to try and reproduce the error.
> I could not reproduce the error on any of the other servers (physical
> or xen VM). Which lead to the conclusion that there was a problem with
> our spacewalk xen-VM. This was confirmed after rebooting the VM:
> the problem went away. Taskomatic now works with openjdk again.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Sander Grendelman.

Jonathan Hoser
Institute of Bioinformatics and System Biology
Email: jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
WWW: http://mips.helmholtz-muenchen.de

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671