[Spacewalk-list] ? Failures Cloning Channels with spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle

Boyd, Robert Robert.Boyd at peoplefluent.com
Thu Jan 28 22:56:39 UTC 2016

I've been using the spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle tool for a while.   Lately I'm having a problem where the back end of spacewalk is failing and causing the tool to blow up with this error:

spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle -c oraclelinux6-x86_64 --promote --workflow=oracle --clear-channel ; date
Thu Jan 28 17:33:58 EST 2016
INFO: Parent Source: oraclelinux6-x86_64, destination: ora-preprod-oraclelinux6-x86_64
INFO: Clearing all errata from ora-preprod-oraclelinux6-x86_64
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle", line 784, in <module>
    merge_channels(parent_source, parent_dest)
  File "/usr/local/bin/spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle", line 420, in merge_channels
    clear_channel(dest_label)
  File "/usr/local/bin/spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle", line 500, in clear_channel
    False)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 1199, in __call__
    return self.__send(self.__name, args)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 1489, in __request
    verbose=self.__verbose
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 1243, in request
    Headers
xmlrpclib.ProtocolError: <ProtocolError for localhost/rpc/api: 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable>

I have tried poking at log files, but I haven't found where there seems to be an indication of a problem.   Can someone point me to a prioritized list of logs I should be looking at to find the nature of what's dying on the back end?  I suspect there is a java resource failure or some other error and would like to track it down and fix it rather than resort to manual/scripted channel by channel cloning( which might fail in the same way).

Thanks,

Robert Boyd
Sr. Systems Engineer
PeopleFluent