[Spacewalk-list] Building Spacewalk With a DNS Alias for Failover

ericb at enrsystems.com ericb at enrsystems.com
Fri Feb 17 20:02:13 UTC 2017

I have a current running Spacewalk Server, and a 2nd Failover server.  The
current configuration is quite painful to failover.

I'm currently standing up a new server on 2.6.  The server's real fqdn is
primaryhost.network.com, and the failover is failoverhost.network.com.  I have
a DNS alias of spacewalk.network.com that is currently pointing at the same IP
as primaryhost.network.com.  I want to install it using the DNS alias.  I
can't change the "real" hostname.

How can I run this with dual hostnames, and have Spacewalk use the the Alias,
especially for cert creation, etc.

The logic being that bringing the failover online should be much easier,
restore the backups to the failover and swing DNS to have the Alias point at
the IP of the failover server.

Thoughts?  Am I crazy?  I feel like this should work.