[Spacewalk-list] RHEL 7 - Spacewalk

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Thu Sep 13 07:33:29 UTC 2018

Op Donderdag, 13-09-2018 om 08:41 schreef Andrei Popenta:
> Hi,
>
> I've opened a case at redhat and asked them about this.
> here is their answer:
>
> Getting back to you question "Is it ok to sync RHEL channels in Spacewalk
> and use that to manage updates for servers running rhel or is this
> considered to be a license infringement ?"
> Answer: Systems will be under no support from Red Hat if you are updating
> them from upstream spacewalk.
>
> BR,
> Andrei

Seems like too easy an answer. I don't recall reading anywhere that Red Hat can dictate which package distribution tool you use on your end. They even document how to make a local repository for internal distribution of packages, so whether or not you do that via spacewalk should then be none of their concern.
I think that as long as you pay your license fee and you install official Red Hat packages, Red Hat must provide you with the support you paid for. I never received the question from Red Hat on "how I updated a server", but if relevant "did you update the server".

Franky