[vfio-users] UEFI adoption in GPU oproms [was: passthrough not working.]

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 19:48:29 UTC 2017

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 20:12:16 +0200
Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> diverging (hence the subject change):
>
> On 10/20/17 16:28, Alex Williamson wrote:
>
> > The Kepler Geforce cards were right on the borderline of UEFI ROMs
> > becoming standard, some vendors supplied it (including my EVGA
> > GTX660), others didn't.
> Very interesting; could you perhaps put a rough time interval around
> this borderline?
>
> Approximately how long did it take for GPU vendors to adopt UEFI? (I
> realize this is an ill-defined question, because I'm not giving you a
> "start point" to count from. Can you think of a good start point? :) )

EVGA's reply to my complaint about lack of UEFI support circa 8/2014
(card purchased 7/2013):

  Also, the GTX 600 series was released before the official release of
  Windows 8, with which the secure boot options were released for the
  operating system and the UEFI options updated with the new
  motherboard back in 2012.  Since the graphics cards were released
  before the operating system, there was no need for an UEFI update.
  Once the new operating system was released and the UEFI options
  updated,  Nvidia went ahead and released their updated firmware for
  the GTX 600 series graphics card to be compatible.  I can assure you
  that with the new 700 series, this firmware was already included
  within the GPU itself and the driver package, which eliminated the
  need to send out specific firmware updates.

So cards since Windows 8 supporting secure boot...  Thanks,

Alex