[virt-tools-list] No Sound on Win 7 VM using RHEL 7 Linux workstaiton

Victor Toso lists at victortoso.com
Fri Mar 31 07:42:48 UTC 2017

Hi Roland,

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:39:09PM -0400, Roland wrote:
> All, I have a RHEL 7 Workstation, I used the Virtual Machine Manager and
> created a Windows 7 VM.  The audio is not working, the Win 7 Sound Icon is
> available in the task bar, the drivers seem to be associated in device
> manager, the VM is using ich9 and I tried ich6 but never hear any sounds.

So you have tried ich6 and ich9 and both of them are not working.

> If I switch the VM to use AC97 then the speaker icon on the win 7
> workstation is Red Hashed out/not available.

Because you need drivers in the guest.

> How can I get the sound to play from the Win 7 VM through the RHEL 7
> Linux Workstation?
>
> 3.10.0-514.6.1-el7_x86_64

It might be possible that the volume is muted in your RHEL 7 machine?
RHEL 7 rely on PulseAudio and you can have the playback audio stream
from virt-manager muted while other audio streams work in the client.

Could you check that?
Are you using Spice or VNC to connect?

Cheers,
        toso