[libvirt] building failed

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 16:52:14 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:01:16AM +0800, Wen Congyang wrote:
>> When I try to build libvirt, I meet the following error messages:
>> ==============================
>> Generating internals/rpc.html.tmp
>> Validating internals/rpc.html
>>    GEN    libvirt-api.xml
>>    GEN    html/index.html
>>    GEN    devhelp/libvirt.devhelp
>> convert -rotate 90 libvirt-net-logical.fig libvirt-net-logical.png
>> make[1]: convert: Command not found
>> make[1]: *** [libvirt-net-logical.png] Error 127
>> ==============================
>
> Hmm, this is an unintended consequence of me removing trailing
> whitespace from the docs/*.fig files. It seems that make now
> considers the corresponding png files to be out of date. Is it
> possible to just update the timestamp on the png files in GIT,
> or should I just re-create the pngs and commit them again.

Git only updates timestamps on png files if they change in content from
the previous release.

Either we make 'convert' a pre-req to building the package, or we have
to rewrite the Makefile rules to gracefully fall back to use 'touch' if
'convert' is not present (similar to how we gracefully fall back if
tools to generate html files are not present).  I'm in favor of the latter.

Also, if it helps, we can exempt the .fig files from the git whitespace
hooks (is this a case of the normal tools for modifying fig files
generating the trailing space by default?).