[libvirt] building failed

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 17:04:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:52:14AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/31/2011 05:00 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:01:16AM +0800, Wen Congyang wrote:
> >>When I try to build libvirt, I meet the following error messages:
> >>==============================
> >>Generating internals/rpc.html.tmp
> >>Validating internals/rpc.html
> >>   GEN    libvirt-api.xml
> >>   GEN    html/index.html
> >>   GEN    devhelp/libvirt.devhelp
> >>convert -rotate 90 libvirt-net-logical.fig libvirt-net-logical.png
> >>make[1]: convert: Command not found
> >>make[1]: *** [libvirt-net-logical.png] Error 127
> >>==============================
> >
> >Hmm, this is an unintended consequence of me removing trailing
> >whitespace from the docs/*.fig files. It seems that make now
> >considers the corresponding png files to be out of date. Is it
> >possible to just update the timestamp on the png files in GIT,
> >or should I just re-create the pngs and commit them again.
>
> Git only updates timestamps on png files if they change in content
> from the previous release.
>
> Either we make 'convert' a pre-req to building the package, or we
> have to rewrite the Makefile rules to gracefully fall back to use
> 'touch' if 'convert' is not present (similar to how we gracefully
> fall back if tools to generate html files are not present).  I'm in
> favor of the latter.

Trouble is we don't want everyone who does have 'convert' to be
constantly dirtying the png files. So sounds like I just need to
re-create the PNGs - merely twiddling a bit in the PNG text
comment field will trick GIT into thinking they've changed

> Also, if it helps, we can exempt the .fig files from the git
> whitespace hooks (is this a case of the normal tools for modifying
> fig files generating the trailing space by default?).

Yeah, xfig leaves a bogus trailing whitespace on 1 line in the file